Thursday, October 12, 2006

the unbearable lightness of peeing

i am sort of a wild stallion. wandering from town to town; untameable; an outlaw with a heart of gold; the rogue space pirate that will invariably save the day despite the fact that he could just take his wookiee and his reward money and travel back to his home planet of corellia. i'm bad to the bone. insatiable in my pure and utter freedom. i mix my metaphors and ain't no one can stop me.

many rumors have popped up about me in my brief time on this planet. if you read my wikipedia entry or the Boston Globe, you'll see see many of these rumors. did my wife really run over my arm with her automobile? certainly. do i really have the power of invisibility? all signs point to yes.

one of these rumors i haven't explored on wade bloggs! is that i drank 64 beers on one airplane trip.

FALSE
.

i actually ended up drinking 67 beers and a bottle of peach schnapps. the reason everyone says "64" is because that lightweight don mattingly--who was doing all of my counting and other thinkin'-work that day--passed out after his third wine cooler.

the year was 1994. the place was america. i had just joined the new york yankees and we were having a bit of a celebration. danny tartabull told me that a man would drink himself to death after a certain number of beers and i set out to prove him wrong. i was successful, but boy did i have to use the mens' room later that day.

another myth successfully busted.

this post is dedicated to the memory of my teammate and friend corey lidle.

No comments: